Any avid shooter knows that keeping your firearm clean is essential to function and safety. If you’re on the range or hunting in the wild, a firearm that’s contaminated with dust, debris, or rust may not function properly or even be dangerous to you and your loved ones.
But with all of the different tools available at sportsmen’s and outdoors’ shops it can be hard to tell what’s the best choice for your firearm. But don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
This website is supported by readers. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Our Recommended Gun Oil in 2022
10) Birchwood Casey Synthetic Gun Oil
By purchasing this synthetic gun oil, you receive a 4.5-ounce can. You can then use this gun oil to lubricate your weapon, clean off any dirt or grime, and spread it across your gun to protect it from a variety of problems. If that is what you are looking for, then this is some excellent gun oil to purchase.
- SUPERIOR GUN OIL - The Synthetic Gun Oil is ideal for maintaining the efficiency of your gun parts; This...
- ADVANCED LUBRICATION - Use the Birchwood Casey Gun Oil for excellent lubrication and protection of gun parts;...
- CLEANING & PROTECTION - The Gun Cleaning Oil will provide long-term protection of metal gun surfaces, giving...
9) Extreme Force Weapon’s Gun Oil
The most notable feature this gun oil offers is longevity. More specifically, this gun oil is long-lasting. Because of this, it won’t harden on your gun, or gum up any of the surfaces or spaces on and within your gun. Along with that, it’s a heavier oil, meaning that it will stay put.
- MADE IN THE USA ! Base Oils & Additives for Firearms Lubrication and Protection. Extra-long lasting, Will not...
- Superior Compounds Endure Harsh Conditions. Penetrates and Spreads on All Metal Surfaces. Will Reduce Cleanup...
- Improves Effectiveness of Operating System.Excellent for long-term storage
8) Black Diamond CLP Gun Cleaning Oil
Just as the name suggests, this oil is meant for cleaning your gun. You can spread it across your gun and, in doing so, the various contaminants will break down, allowing you to wipe them off. Along with that, this gun oil is also great for lubricating the components within your gun and protecting your gun from rust.
- 3 IN 1 GUN OIL LUBRICANT - simplify your gun cleaning routine by using one product instead of three!
- CLEANS - Bore cleaner and carbon cutter breaks down all contaminants in and on the gun!
- LUBRICATES - Penetrates deep to prevent metal to metal contact, friction and wear!
7) Mossy Oak Gun Oil
You can use this gun oil to protect, lubricate, and clean your gun. The 8-ounces in the can are more than sufficient for multiple uses, ensuring that you won’t need to purchase another bottle for a while – unless, of course, you own multiple guns or are using this oil often. The fact that this is a sprayable gun oil only makes the entire experience easier and more enjoyable.
- ONE STEP. ONE SOLUTION. | Gun cleaning solvent, lubricant, and protectant in one. Clean-Lube-Protect
- DO NO HARM | Safe on wood stocks, polymers, plastics, camo coatings Cerakote, gold inlays and more
- ALL WEATHER | Will not freeze or run. Rated for temperatures as low as -65°F and as high as 400°F
6) Hoppe’s HSO Boresnake Clp All-in-one Oil
Hoppe’s HSO Boresnake All-In-One Oil comes in a small 2-ounce squeeze bottle. You can squeeze it out of the bottle, just like lotion, and spread it across your gun. By doing so, you can clean your gun, lubricate the components, and protect your gun from the elements.
- CLP formula cleans, lubricates and protects in one step
- 2 oz. squeeze bottle
- Includes rust prohibitors and a pinpoint applicator
5) Break-Free CLP-4 Cleaner Lubricant
For the most part, this gun oil offers nothing particularly unique or notable. But, regardless of that, this oil is more than effective at cleaning, lubricating, and protecting your guns. Once you combine these features with the fact that this gun oil doesn’t cost much, and gives you a 4-ounce bottle, it becomes a fantastic purchase.
- All in One Gun Cleaner: Cleans firing residue and other contaminants from the bore, moving parts and exterior...
- Reduces metal-to-metal wear by protecting treated surfaces with an advanced boundary film
- Clean, Lubricant and Preservative: Protects metals with special rust inhibitors
4) Extreme Duty Gun Oil
You can use just a few drops of this gun oil to lubricate and protect your gun. Both of these features are easy to activate since your gun will require just a few drops. Plus, you can also use this gun oil to clean off your gun, removing stains and markings with just a few drops of oil and a soft cloth.
- Product Type: Auto Oil
- Package Dimensions: 2.286 L X 2.794 W X 10.414 H (Centimeters)
- Package Weight: 0.045 Kilograms
3) Ballistol Multi-Purpose Oil
Just as the name suggests, this is a multi-purpose gun oil. You can use this oil to protect, lubricate, and clean your guns. But, along with that, you can use this oil on just about anything else, and it will perform those same functions. Making use of this oil is also quite easy, since it comes in a spray bottle, allowing you to simply spray the oil and let it dry.
- Country of origin: United States
- The package height of the product is 6.75 inches
- The package length of the product is 2.25 inches
2) Strike Hold Gun Oil and Cleaner
Versatility is the most notable feature this gun oil offers. You can use this gun oil to lubricate, clean, and protect guns of nearly any caliber and nearly any gauge. Because of this, if you own a lot of guns, then this is one of the best gun oils that you can purchase.
- A Little Goes A Long Way Gun Oil and Cleaner - Do you spend time and money on multiple products of clp gun...
- Gun cleaning Solvent - Your firearms deserve the most advanced CLP gun cleaner and lubricant available. Stop...
- Any Caliber Any Gauge Gun Lube and Cleaner - Battle-tested and proven to be better than any bottle of gun oil...
1) Prom Hoppe’s M-Pro 7 LPX Gun Oil
By purchasing this gun oil, you receive a 4-ounce spray bottle of oil. Since this oil comes in a spray bottle, you can apply it with ease. By doing so, you can lubricate the components that comprise your gun, while also reinforcing their protective mechanisms, and cleaning the dirt and grime that is on your gun.
- Significantly cuts cleaning time
- Improves accuracy and reliability
- Manufactured by M-Pro7
The Advantages of Cleaning a Gun
Cleaning your gun doesn’t just make it look good. When you have a clean firearm, you can be sure that it will fire safely and discharge old cartridges and shells. Keeping a Firearm free of dust and grit and keeping it well lubricated ensures that all of the moving parts work freely, giving you a smooth action when you need it. Plus, a clean and well-maintained firearm lasts longer.
Leaving grit in the moving parts can wear away at your firearm, and any amount of water can quickly turn into rust and ruin your gun.
Keeping your gun clean makes it all but certain that you and your family can enjoy years of shooting.
What you need
While the shelves are full of fancy things for cleaning your gun, there are only a few things you need.
The first thing you will want is a lubricant or cleaning solution to loosen and break up any of the gunk that builds up on your gun.
You will want small, soft pieces of cloth for cleaning different areas of the gun with the cleaning solution.
A bore snake is a basic for cleaning out the inside of your gun barrel.
It is also a good idea to have cleaning rods and cleaning patches on hand for those hard-to-reach places.
Finally, you can use a cleaning mat to prevent any oil or grit from dirtying up your floor or workbench when you are cleaning your gun.
What You Need to Know
While there is a huge variety of gun cleaning products, not all of them are created equal. When you buy cleaning brushes, make sure to get metal ones as the plastic ones can easily break.
When you are buying a cleaning solvent there are many factors to consider.
If you are using a bore snake for a quick clean, you can just use a little bit of CLP and away you go. But if you are looking for a more thorough clean, be careful which type of solvents or oils you use.
Some are multipurpose, which is attractive because they make decision-making easier. Many types of oils and cleaners can be used on different types of guns.
However, it is always a good idea to check the product label and make sure it can be safely used on your type of firearm. The last thing you want is to buy a cleaner thinking you are helping, but end up damaging your gun.
There are specific cleaning agents made for each part of the gun, so it is always a good idea to check out the product label to make sure it is suitable for what you want to clean.
When going for a gun cleaning solvent or lubricant, price is a factor. You should probably steer clear of the cheap stuff because you don’t want to use just any old thing that comes in a tube.
If you go for the higher-end options you will be getting the best performance. Some pretty advanced science goes into making the more expensive stuff, so these would be a good choice if you can afford them.
Otherwise, the middle-of-the-road products are a good way to go. They are still affordable while offering quality cleaning and protective properties.
Some gun cleaning kits come with lubricants or solvents, so always check your kit to make sure you don’t double buy.
Whether you have a store-bought kit or you assemble one yourself, it is always a good idea to keep your components stowed in an easily transported case. Ballistic nylon bags are a good option for storing the components of your kit, as they are light and easy to carry and store.
Also, please do not use WD 40 to clean your firearm. WD 40 is designed to evaporate and leave surfaces dry, meaning your gun does not stay lubricated after you spray it on. This could harm the action of the gun and cause it to overheat.
WD 40 can also cause dust and junk to stick to your gun and build up. When it comes to cleaning your firearm, use the products that were made for guns.
There is no such thing as cleaning your gun too much. As long as you keep it out of the elements, frequent cleaning of a firearm can only help to extend its life by preventing the buildup of debris, dust, dirt, and rust.
A frequently cleaned and lubricated gun provide smoother action, faster shooting, and better safety for you and the people you care about.
Have any questions or comments about keeping your firearm clean? Feel free to discuss them in the comments below.
Thanks for reading!
Last update on 2023-06-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API